Rabat – A Spanish official has slammed Morocco’s compulsory military service law for ringing alarm bells among Morocco’s youth.Adela Nieto, the official in charge of social affairs, minors, and equality in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, said that Morocco’s proposed bill to introduce compulsory military service has left young Moroccans with no other choice but to cross into neighboring Spain.“The outflow of unaccompanied Moroccan minors has increased following the announcement of a law to establish compulsory military service,” she said. Read Also: Military Source: Moroccan Migrants Shot by Navy Were ‘Hidden Under Tarp’According to Moroccan outlet Le 360, the Spanish official claimed to have taken her data from “information” in the Spanish government’s records of recent attempts by young irregular Moroccan migrants to reach Spain.While the compulsory service bill has been introduced to the Moroccan parliament, it has not been passed. It may take longer than reported in news outlets, according to Government Spokesperson Mustapha El Khalfi.“There is a procedure to follow before the proposal is made into a law,” El Khalfi said. “[The procedure] will take several months…. There is a legislative duration. Technically, this law will most probably enter into force towards the second half of 2019.”Read Also: Law on Mandatory Military Service May Come into Force at the End of 2019In the meantime, the controversy that the bill created in Morocco coincided with reports of a sharp increase of emigration attempts by Moroccans, especially in the northern cities. The correlation may explain Nieto’s “confidence” about a causal relationship between the two occurrences.Nieto’s statement follows comments from another Spanish official on Moroccan emigration.During a working visit to Rabat earlier this week, Maria del Consuelo Rumi Ibanez, the Spanish state secretary for migration, told her Moroccan counterparts to “dismantle the myth of the European dream.”“Emigration is not the solution,” Ibanez said, adding that the choice to emigrate illegally is perilous and “often ends badly.”
The attack took place in the capital, Mogadishu, near the Sahafi Hotel on Friday afternoon, where three explosions were followed by gunfire, all believed to be orchestrated by the jihadist group, Al-Shabab. So far, authorities have reported that at least 20 people have been killed, and 17 wounded.In its years-long fight against the UN and internationally-backed Somali Government, the group has been targeting places where officials and security forces are likely to frequent, such as the Sahafi Hotel.The members of the Security Council commended the swift response of Somalia’s security and first responders and reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes “one of the most serious threats to international peace and security”.Underlying the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism to justice, they urged all States, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard, in accordance with obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions.The members of the UN body reaffirmed the need for all States to combat by all means, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and other obligations under international law – including international human rights law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law – threats to global peace and security caused by terrorist attacks.Paying tribute to all Somali and international actors working to bring peace and stability in Somalia, the members of the Council reiterated their determination to support peace, stability and development in Somalia, stressing that neither this nor any other terrorist attack would weaken that determination.They expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, as well as to the people and Government of Somalia and wished a speedy recovery to those injured.On Friday, UN Secretary-General António Guterres had also condemned the attack and reaffirmed the United Nations’ solidarity with the people of Somalia.