Here’s what attendees of the CUES School of Payments would do.by: Lisa HochgrafHere’s what attendees of the CUES School of Payments would do.Terence Roche asked attendees of the CUES School of Payments last week in Chicago what they would do if they were given license to spend a million dollars on payments systems for their credit unions. Here’s what attendees told Roche, principal of Cornerstone Advisors, a CUES strategic partner based in Scottsdale, Ariz.Targeted rewards. The team acknowledged these could be pricey, but thought that if there were really money to invest, this could be a very good way to go. Ideally, these would include loyalty options for people using CU services outside of payments as well.Upgrade analytics capabilities. This would put the credit union in better stead to evaluate its current programs and decide on next steps.Add self-service options. Attendees would add interactive teller machines, enhance mobile and add a system that would allow members to turn off (and on) their credit cards using their mobile devices.What would you do if you had a million dollars to spend on payments? continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
“We gave far too much weight to the models,” Jean-Francois Toussaint, director of France’s Irmes medical research center told AFP. “These mathematical models depend on too many factors to be accurate,” he said.Toussaint said that with COVID-19 a heretofore unknown disease, there were many variables in the models that could drastically affect their outcomes.”The most egregious case was [the prediction] of 500,000 deaths that forced governments’ hands. It’s a typical example of a not very serious application of science,” said Laurent Toubiana, an epidemiologist who has spoken against lockdowns. When the novel coronavirus began to circulate globally at the beginning of March, scientists turned to statistical models to predict the severity of the pandemic. The news was stark.The epidemiological models showed that COVID-19 could infect hundreds of millions of people and kill millions worldwide, prompting governments to enter lockdown in a bid to avoid the worst. Now, as much of Europe gingerly exits confinement, questions are being asked about the methods used and the results produced in the calculations that shocked authorities into taking unprecedented measures to enforce social distancing. He was referring to a model by researchers at London’s Imperial College, released on March 16, which showed that without any action, COVID-19 could kill 510,000 people in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States.The study, led by epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, prompted Prime Minister Boris Johnson to enforce strict social distancing measures in the days that followed.”We always prefer to listen to the alarmists,” said Toubiana, pointing out that the death toll from COVID-19 is currently at least one order of magnitude lower than what Ferguson and colleagues’ model showed.The authors at the time did point out that their model did not take into account changes in behavior such as social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing, all of which have proved successful in reducing COVID-19’s spread. ‘Models aren’t absolute’ The model immediately came in for criticism for its methodology, but the university has stood by the research, saying this month that it had passed an evaluation by independent experts.On Monday a new Imperial study concluded that lockdowns had prevented 3.1 million COVID-19 deaths across 11 European nations. Toussaint claimed Imperial was “trying to retrospectively justify its mistakes”.Whereas Imperial’s initial study was released directly by the university, Monday’s appeared in the prestigious journal Nature and had been subjected to review by a host of the researchers’ peers.Modelers themselves are keen to stress that they don’t have crystal balls: they simply use maths to simulate various outcomes — and in doing so may confront decision makers with the worst case scenario they may wish to avoid.”A model doesn’t have to be interpreted as absolute: it’s a snapshot that rests on what we know at the time,” said Nicolas Hoertel, a psychiatrist and modeler at the Corentin-Celton hospital near Paris.”It’s a bit like an opinion poll,” he told AFP.”There are major limits [to models] but at this stage they are the only scientific tool we have to inform decisions regarding public health,” Hoertel said.A recent model in France showed that lockdown had saved 100,000 lives, but policymakers have said models were not the only reason the country entered radical social distancing in March. “Of course we relied heavily on models… one for example said that without confinement we were going to have 120,000 or 150,000 deaths,” Jean-Francois Delfraissy, president of France’s scientific council advising the government on COVID-19, told French television this month. “But models are only models,” he said, adding that on-the-ground observations from the massive influx of patients to hospitals also guided the government.Ultimately, “it’s a political decision,” Delfraissy said. Topics :
ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 10, 2016) – Birdatthewire heads a competitive field of eight older fillies and mares this Saturday at Santa Anita in the 75th running of the Grade II, $200,000 Santa Maria Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on the main track.A 4-year-old filly by Summer Bird, Birdatthewire will be making her second start for trainer Tom Proctor. Previously trained by east coast based Dale Romans, Birdatthewire shipped west for the Grade I, seven furlong La Brea on opening day, Dec. 26, and was an impressive half-length winner, up late to take the prestigious stakes for 3-year-old fillies.Birdatthewire transferred to Proctor’s stable following the La Brea score and most recently ran in the Jan. 16 Grade II La Canada at the Santa Maria distance under new rider, Drayden Van Dyke to finish second despite being fanned wide throughout the first turn.“I was completely taken out by Santiago (Gonzalez, on Oscar Party whose rein broke going into the first turn), said Van Dyke immediately after the race. “I didn’t know what was happening. He came flying by me, which made my horse get really rank…I got stuck outside of him, and he was way out there.”Sometimes deemed difficult due to her quirky running style down the stretch, Birdatthewire will hope for a fast pace to run at and plenty of room out in the middle of the track Saturday. Owned by Forum Racing IV, Birdatthewire, whose last eight races have all been in graded stakes, will be reunited with rider Mike Smith, who was up for the La Brea win. She is 12-4-3-1 overall with $609,090 in earnings.The complete field for the Grade II Santa Maria, to be run as the 8th race on a nine race program Saturday, with jockeys and weights in post position order: Star Act, Tyler Baze, 120; Gas Total, Flavien Prat, 120; Birdatthewire, Mike Smith, 122; Big Break, Edwin Maldonado, 120; Kyriaki, Rafael Bejarano, 120; Living The Life, Gary Stevens, 120; Yahilwa, Joe Talamo, 120; Tara’s Tango, Martin Garcia, 120. First post time on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.
A 35-year-old businessman was on Tuesday night beaten to death, allegedly by his younger cousin, a 28-year-old electrician of Unity Village, East Coast Demerara (ECD).Dead: Arvin Dipchand, called “Krishna”Dead is Arvin Dipchand, called “Krishna” of Dochfour, ECD. The incident occurred around 18:30h at Unity.Reports are that the cousins had several misunderstandings, stemming from the electrician allegedly stealing from the businessman on several occasions.On Tuesday night, the suspect was under the influence of alcohol when he pelted a hammer towards his cousin.The hammer struck the businessman to his head, causing him to fall to the ground.The suspect then began to punch his cousin. He then reportedly pulled out a wooden stave from a fence and dealt the businessman a lash to his head.The businessman managed to free himself and jumped into his car. However, he was only able to drive a short distance down the street before he collapsed.The man was escorted by Community Policing Group (CPG) members to the Mahaicony Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.The suspect is in custody assisting with the investigation.
By Phindi MadunaBrand South Africa, through its Play Your Part initiative, has partnered with South African award winning artist, Khabonina Qubeka, on the #Mandela100Yogathon tour. The yogathon is an international tour in honour of the centenary of the birth of the late former President, Nelson Mandela.Mandela believed that exercise is a key to physical health and peace of mind. He often talked about how exercise and meditation helped him during his term of imprisonment.Through this tour, Khabonina hopes to spread the message of the importance of health and fitness – especially for children. Khabonina will showcase how the practice of yoga has changed her life and she uses the practice of yoga to enrich the lives of others. In her engagement with the youth, she will reflect on some of Mandela’s core values that can help build a better world. Khabonina believes that Mandela would have loved the concept of bringing the world together through an important and meaningful initiative such as this.The tour started at the Park Lane, a Pullman Hotel in Hong Kong on 27 March 2018. This leg of the tour featured renowned Yoga Guru, YogaRaj who is a three time Guinness World Record holder for the longest yoga marathon.While in Hong Kong, Khabonina also conducted a workshop at the City University where she shared her personal journey of the practice yoga with students. The City University of Hong Kong presented Khabonina with a Professional Creative of the World Award for her contribution to the yoga fraternity worldwide.Following this successful launch, Khabonina will take the #Mandela100Yogathon tour to Botswana on 27 to 29 April 2018; Tanzania from 21 to 28 June 2018; and South Africa from 18 to 26 July 2018, where she will work with various schools and community organisations to further impart her knowledge of the importance of living a healthy and active lifestyle.For more information on the tour and how you can play your part in supporting Khabonina’s efforts, follow @Khabonina_Q and #Mandela100Yogathon on Twitter and Instagram.
Tags:#Azure#cloud#Internet of Things#IoT#Microsoft#paas#saas David Curry Follow the Puck Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Microsoft announced on Thursday a new “software-as-a-service” (SaaS) offering, called IoT Central, aimed at reducing the complexity of building Internet of Things solutions.IoT Central allows developers to create software and hardware without cloud expertise, a necessity for large-scale IoT solutions in the past. Microsoft does not say exactly how the service reduces the need for cloud experience but said it will continue to update over the coming months.See Also: The bot invasion is on, powered by $24B in fundingThe new service is powered by Azure IoT Suite, Microsoft’s current central platform for IoT development. We assume for developers not accustomed to cloud computing, it will automate parts of the process.“[IoT Central] has the potential to dramatically increase the speed at which manufacturers can innovate and bring new products to market, as well as lower the barriers to creating IoT solutions that generate new revenue opportunities and better experiences for customers,” said Microsoft.Also updating AzureMicrosoft will also be updating Azure IoT Suite with a new “pre-configured solution”, called Connected Factory. The solution “makes it easy to connect on-premises open platform communications (OPC) UA and OPC Classic devices to the Microsoft cloud and get insights to help drive operational efficiencies.”Connected Factory has built-in cloud security to make configuring devices in the cloud a safe experience. Microsoft has partnered with Unified Automation, Softing, and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise to build “turnkey gateway solutions” for the Connected Factory, using Azure cloud services.Microsoft has made big investments in IoT and cloud over the past year and they appear to be paying off. Even though Amazon still controls most of the market-share for cloud computing, Azure is catching up. Internet of Things Makes it Easier to Steal You… Related Posts Small Business Cybersecurity Threats and How to…
Mercedes GLA Compact SUVGerman luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz is set to expand its Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) portfolio in India. Currently it has no SUV on offer below the ML 250 CDI in its line-up here. To plug this gap, the company will launch its GLA compact luxury SUV in India on September 30, 2014.The Mercedes-Benz GLA is based on Mercedes’ latest front-wheel-drive MFA platform. Its Indian version will be available in petrol guise, equipped with a 2.0-litre petrol motor to generate 181bhp of power. In addition, there will also be a GLA 200 CDI variant, which will be fitted with a 2.2-litre diesel engine. Both engines will come with 7-speed gearboxes. Both petrol and diesel variants are expected to be available only with front-wheel-drive. The Mercedes GLA is expected to compete with the likes of the Audi Q3, BMW X1 and the Volvo V40 Cross Country. The GLA 200 is expected to be priced around Rs 30-32 lakh (ex-showroom). Interestingly, bookings for this vehicle have been underway for some months already and deliveries are expected soon after official launch. In its segment, the Mercedes GLA 200 will compete against the likes of BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Volvo V40 Cross Country.
Manchester City star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne on Thursday asserted the club should maintain high standards constantly in order to win more games and titles.After eight matches, the Pep Guardiola-managed side are on top of the Premier League table with 22 points, winning seven matches and drawing one.The Belgian also said Guardiola’s passionate, animated style on the touchline helps the team focus at crucial times.”It keeps everybody in check,” he said. “Against Napoli, It was 2-0 and we knew it wasn’t over. If you want to win a lot of games, go for titles, the standard has to be set really high constantly,” the 26-year-old told Manchester City website.”We’re trying to do that. Obviously, we’re only humans and we make mistakes but we are trying to get that high level as much as possible,” said De Bruyne, who has scored 15 goals with Manchester City.De Bruyne heaped praise on the club’s Brazilian goalkeeper Ederson Santana de Moraes and said he has started the season well.”He’s (Ederson) great. Obviously, he came in, there were big expectations, and he’s doing really well. He kept us controlling the game against Napoli by stopping the first penalty. But even the way he passes the ball around it helps us to control the game more. He’s doing a great job,” De Bruyne said.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Spurs, Man Utd target Denis Zakaria: I’ll keep my feet on the groundby Paul Vegasa day agoSend to a friendShare the loveBorussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria is staying grounded over growing transfer interest.Switzerland international Zakaria has the likes of Inter Milan, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United all keen.And Gladbach have intimated a willingness to sell for €50m.But the youngster says: “I’m happy with Borussia and I want to play a big season with Gladbach if possible. “The important thing is that I keep my feet on the ground and do not worry about the other things.”
COLUMBUS, OH – SEPTEMBER 27: Ohio State Buckeyes fans cheer on their team against the Minnesota Golden Gophers on September 27, 2008 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)ESPN’s College GameDay is in Columbus for tomorrow’s big showdown between Ohio State and Michigan State, which means that former Michigan star Desmond Howard, who is an analyst for the show, is in enemy territory. One Buckeyes supporter appears to have gone overboard in making sure Howard doesn’t feel at home.Friday morning, Howard, on SportsCenter, told Cari Champion that he’d been flipped off and screamed at by an Ohio State supporter on his walk to the set. Hours later, a fan claimed responsibility on Twitter and called out Howard in the process. We’ve gone ahead and transcribed what Howard told viewers. We imagine that the fan is going to eventually delete all of his tweets, including the video – it isn’t a good look at all.“On my way to the set, I came across a young man, a student here, who showed me that he thought I was No. 1 with one of his fingers and then he – he went on to say that, using this foul language, that he wanted to have some sort of weird sexual relations with Michigan. So I told him, hey buddy, I don’t blame you, I blame your parents and the way you were raised, have a good day young man.” Told Desmond Howard right to his face, “fuck Michigan” he wasn’t happy pic.twitter.com/7FVSVhcGE0— Matt Schroth (@Schroth21) November 20, 2015ok chill Desmond you didn’t say anything to me pic.twitter.com/tt5laMhEJy— Matt Schroth (@Schroth21) November 20, [email protected] say it to my face next time and not on sports center. You don’t want these hands chump— Matt Schroth (@Schroth21) November 20, 2015Rivalries are great, but this kind of stuff isn’t cool at all. Maybe a simple “Go Bucks!” would have sufficed instead.