NewsLocal NewsCouncils punished for household charge failure – CollinsBy admin – April 14, 2012 549 THE government has attempted to shift the blame for the failure in the Household Charge “fiasco” by punishing local authorities, according to an opposition deputy. Niall Collins TD says that Limerick city and county councils are facing punishment in the form of cuts to services over the non-payment of the charge. “At the weekend we saw government ministers trying to shift blame onto local authority workers in Limerick and across the country for the mess that Phil Hogan has created over the Household Charge”, said Deputy Collins. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Now it is reported that Minister Hogan will punish those areas where the charge has not been successfully collected, by cutting local services to the entire community.“Let us be clear, this fiasco is not the fault of local authority workers in Limerick or anywhere else; This is entirely Phil Hogan and the government’s fault as they made a mess of this from the beginning by forcing a flat-rate charge on people, regardless of their ability to pay, by failing to provide the proper information to the public and by failing to allow people to pay in a variety of ways”.He claimed that the government wants to blame ordinary council workers to “save face”. “I am asking local Fine Gael and Labour Oireachtas members if they stand by their colleagues’ claims that gaps in Household Charge payments locally are the fault of Limerick City and County Council workers, and not the Government?He said he will also seek their position on Minister Hogan’s plans to cut local services if the government has not succeeded in collecting the Household Charge from all homes across County Limerick”. WhatsApp Print Advertisement Facebook Twitter Email Linkedin Previous articleDrug case adjourned to SeptemberNext articleBusiness leaders opt for state owned but independent airport admin
Last year’s winner Brown Panther and the unbeaten Forgotten Rules are two of the star names among 48 entries for the Palmerstown House Estate Irish St Leger at the Curragh on September 13. Press Association The Tom Dascombe-trained Brown Panther kicked off the new campaign with a terrific triumph in Dubai and was only narrowly denied by Snow Sky on his return to European action in the Yorkshire Cup earlier this month. Snow Sky is also among the 13 potential British challengers, as is his stable companion Gospel Choir, Marco Botti’s Tac De Boistron and Ed Dunlop’s globetrotter Red Cadeaux. Forgotten Rules is one of seven entries for Dermot Weld as the master of Rosewell House bids to win the Irish Leger for an eighth time. The Ascot Gold Cup favourite is joined by the likes of Windsor Park, Good Tradition and Vintage Nouveau. Aidan O’Brien won the race with Yeats in 2007 and again with Septimus 12 months later and he has a team of 11 entered this time around. Giovanni Canaletto, Diamondsandrubies, Hans Holbein and Together Forever are just some of the familiar names that could represent Ballydoyle. Other notable entries include the Ken Condon-trained Success Days, Jim Bolger’s Irish 1,000 Guineas winner Pleascach and the rapidly improving Curvy, trained by David Wachman. Paul Hensey, general Manager of the Curragh, said: “The Irish St Leger is the feature race on day two of Irish Champions Weekend and Brown Panther’s win last year was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the weekend. “This year’s race has once again attracted a top-class entry.”
Daniel Rothberg contributed to this report. On Monday, all USC residence halls began requiring students to not only present their student ID, but also to scan their fingerprint in order to gain entry to their building.Students received an email informing them of the change on Nov. 5.“As part of USC Housing’s continuing effort to make your residence safer, we will be installing fingerprint scanners at every building entry point. Once the units are installed, each resident will be required to show a valid ID card and to authenticate his/her identity via fingerprint biometrics,” the email read.Students had four days to scan their fingerprint and picture at their local Customer Service Center during the week prior to the change. Currently, the fingerprinting only applies to on-campus housing, though officials are now considering implementing the system in off-campus USC housing, as well.Guests are still allowed into the residences, but are required to leave a valid ID in exchange for a guest pass.During normal CSC business hours on weekdays, student workers will scan fingerprints and collect IDs from guests. When front desks are closed, security personnel will take responsibility.“From 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 [a.m.] Monday through Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday, we will have an outside security company staffing the ID checkpoints,” USC Housing Director Keenan Cheung wrote in an email to the Daily Trojan.Michael Jackson, vice president for Student Affairs, said the changes are not related to an on-campus shooting that wounded four on Oct. 31.“This is something we have been working on since probably the summer time,” Jackson said.Jackson said the changes will prevent fewer unwanted guests from visiting the residence halls, especially during large on-campus events, such as tailgates.“Now there is the technology available to allow us to ensure that the people who live there and who are invited by the people who live there get access to the residences,” Jackson said.Students have reacted to the new policy with everything ranging from support to concern.Though the cost of housing will not be affected by this change, Haylee Saathoff, a freshman studying print and digital journalism who resides in Webb Tower, said she didn’t see the need for the fingerprinting policy.“I just don’t really understand what it’s supposed to do,” she said. “It seems like the money could be spent elsewhere.”Another potential problem some students brought up is not being able to use certain stairwells. In Birnkrant Residential College, for example, students will no longer be allowed to use the stairs to access their rooms because the entrances to the stairwells are separate from the main lobby.Birnkrant resident Asher Shasho-Levy, a freshman studying philosophy, politics and law, worried that this would infringe upon his daily routine, such as his weekly observance of religious holidays.“I actually need the stairs, because as a Shabbat [Jewish Sabbath] observer, I’m not allowed to use electricity from Friday night to Saturday night,” he said.Another issue that several students brought up was a concern for their privacy, though Cheung dismissed this fear.“[Fingerprints] are stored locally on the specific device,” Cheung said. “There is no central storage dump. Computers are manned 24/7. These computers do not have access to Wi-Fi or the Internet and do not talk to one another. The program is encrypted as well.”Despite some concern, other students were pleased with the new system.“It’s better for the students’ safety and it’s better to be safe then sorry,” freshman Anna Lea Damir, who is majoring in chemical engineering (petroleum engineering), said.
NFL schedule 2019: 5 potholes on the Patriots’ road to repeat Rosen, who was selected at No. 10 overall by the Cardinals in last year’s draft, didn’t live up to the hype.He threw for 2,278 passing yards and 11 touchdowns but was intercepted 14 times. The Cardinals were 3-13 — worst in the NFL — and he was the starter in 13 games. Coach Steve Wilks was fired after only one season.Many think that Kyler Murray, who has direct ties to new Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury, will be the No. 1 overall pick next week for the 2019 NFL Draft and that Rosen could be traded. NFL schedule 2019: 5 must-see prime-time games “I think when people talk about, ‘You can’t listen to criticism’ or ‘Don’t ever read articles’ you have to be aware of what’s going on to a certain extent, so I definitely understand the situation,” Rosen said of the trade rumors. “It’s annoying, but it is what it is. Football is a business and I definitely respect the higher-ups and their decision.”The speculation that the Cardinals will pick Murray, along with the fact that the Cardinals didn’t include Rosen in their hype video for their schedule release Wednesday and he isn’t depicted on the team’s calendar, have many buzzing that the writing is on the wall and that Rosen will be leaving Arizona soon.”I think the best advice I’ve ever gotten in life from so many different people is control what you can control, and whatever decisions are made, it’s my duty to prove them right if they keep me and prove them wrong if they ship me off,” Rosen said.In an exclusive interview with SI TV, @josh3rosen opens up about his uncertain future with the Arizona Cardinals: “I definitely understand the situation… It is what it is, football’s a business” https://t.co/ioW1ifdLsV pic.twitter.com/L2Z9DPdfHz— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) April 18, 2019 “I think (last) season probably went as poorly as it could possibly go,” Rosen said in an interview with SI TV. “But within that, I had an unbelievable time. …”We won three games and each one of those wins, to me, felt like we won the Super Bowl, and that feeling is so intoxicating and that’s why I just want nothing more than to be part of a team next year and have the same opportunities to go out and compete.” Related News Josh Rosen knows his time in Arizona could be over.The Cardinals quarterback addressed the rumors surrounding his future with the team, saying he knew the NFL was a business and him being traded wasn’t anything personal.