Former Brazil defender Roberto Carlos hit out at allegations he took illegal stimulants as “lies” on Saturday and vowed judicial action against the German TV network that made them.A documentary aired by the ARD network said the legendary full back was named in a dossier given by Brazil’s anti-doping agency to the public prosecutor’s office in Sao Paulo in 2015.Reuters was unable to independently verify the allegations in the documentary.The former Real Madrid player called the allegations “extremely vague” and said his lawyers were taking action to refute them.”I vehemently repudiate the irresponsible accusations made by the German network ARD and reaffirm that I never used any artifice that gave me an advantage over my colleagues,” he said in a statement sent to Reuters.”All my career I have fought for fairness and above all loyalty,” the former Palmeiras, Corinthians and Fenerbahce left-back said.”The lying accusations against me are completely against the way I think. In a career spanning more than 20 years I never tested positive for any substance that would modify my performance.”The Brazilian Football Confederation did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the issue.The defender, who is currently a director at Real Madrid, won La Liga four times and the Champions League on three occasions with the Spanish club, as well as lifting titles in Brazil and Turkey.
Kathleen Martens APTN National NewsA accusation of domestic abuse from a former partner may slow Wab Kinew’s bid to lead the Manitoba New Democrats. But a political scientist says it won’t bring it to a complete stop.“It’s not a great time on the eve of the convention that his ex-girlfriend’s stepping forward,” said University of Manitoba professor Chris Adams. “But he’s still the frontrunner.”Kinew, a prominent Indigenous politician in Manitoba, is battling NDP veteran Steve Ashton for the crown in Saturday’s leadership race. The party is hoping a new leader will restore public confidence and return it to power in the next election.Questions about Kinew’s fitness for office have dogged his ascent through party ranks. He was only elected MLA for Fort Rouge last year. Prior to that he worked as a broadcaster and musician, with a taste for raunchy lyrics and alcohol that led to a charge of driving while impaired.Kinew has since been pardoned for that charge and says he’s outgrown his wild ways and brushes with the law.He denied he was violent towards his former partner in 2003.“That never happened,” he told APTN Thursday. “The matter was investigated and the charges were dropped.”That much is true. Two charges of assault involving the woman were stayed by the Crown in 2004.But the woman, Tara Hart of Winnipeg, in an interview with APTN Thursday, alleged Kinew threw or pushed her causing carpet burns. She said she ended the two-year relationship immediately.News of the past criminal allegations was made public by Ashton. Something Hart said took her by surprise.“I have not talked to Tara Hart,” Ashton said Friday. “I’ve seen what she has said and that’s one courageous woman. And I believe Tara Hart.”Hart has said she would have preferred the matter remain private.Meanwhile, Adams says the disclosure puts “some wind in Steve Ashton’s sails.” But not enough to knock Kinew off course.He predicts a Kinew victory and says the new leader will hit the badly needed “re-set button” for the [email protected]