Detailed guide: Healthcare for UK nationals living in Poland

first_imgPoland has an insurance-based healthcare system. If you’re not insured, you may be charged for using state healthcare services.UK nationals usually access the Polish healthcare system in one of these ways: NHS Overseas Healthcare ServicesTelephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pmSaturday, 9am to 3pm paying insurance contributions to the Polish state health system state through their employer paying voluntary insurance contributions to the Polish state health system directly taking out private health insurance using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays registering an UK-issued S1 form with the Polish state health system This information is about living in Poland. There’s different guidance about visiting Poland. Healthcare if you live and work in PolandIf you’re employed, monthly insurance contributions to the National Health Fund (NFZ) are taken from your salary before you’re paid.If you’re self-employed or not working, you can pay voluntary insurance contributions directly to the National Health Fund each month. You cannot do this if you’re registered as unemployed in Poland.Your dependants will be covered by your insurance if they do not have their own.You may be entitled to a Polish EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK.You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.How to registerFirst, register as a resident at the administrative offices of your provincial authority.You then need to register with the National Health Fund.If you work for a Polish employer, they’ll register you.If you’re self-employed or not working, go to your regional branch of the National Health Fund.Find out what documents you need to bring from the National Health Fund website.Show ID and proof of your insurance when you visit a doctor.How much you’ll payMonthly contributions cost 9% of your salary if you’re employed.If you’re self-employed or not working, monthly contributions are based on national average salary.State health services are free if you pay insurance contributions, but you need to pay for some prescription medicines.You can use some private health facilities for free if the facility has a contract with the Polish state health system.If your UK employer has sent you to Poland temporarily (‘posted workers’)A posted worker, also known as a ‘detached worker’, is someone employed or self-employed in the UK, but temporarily sent to a European Economic Area (EEA) country.UK posted workers can access healthcare in Poland using an EHIC, GHIC or S1 form.HMRC has a helpline for National Insurance enquiries from non-UK residents. They can answer questions about posted worker status and explain which documents you will need to get healthcare while posted.UK-funded healthcare: getting and using an S1 form in PolandThere’s different guidance if you have an S1 as a posted worker.You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you’re a Polish resident and receive a UK State Pension.You may also be entitled to an S1 form if you’re a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if you’re eligible.If you started living in Poland before 1 January 2021, you may also be entitled to an S1 if you receive some other ‘exportable benefits’. Not all UK benefits that can be claimed while abroad entitle you to UK-funded healthcare. Read more about claiming benefits if you move abroad or contact Jobcentre Plus to ask about a benefit. a UK-issued EHIC for travelcenter_img Once you have an S1 form, you must register it on the Polish system.This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Poland on the same basis as a Polish citizen.You’ll also get: planned treatments in other EU countries Stay up to dateThis guidance will be updated if anything changes to how you get state healthcare in Poland.Sign up for email alerts Dependants and family members may be classified differently in Poland than the UK.Check with the local authorities when you register your S1 form.How to get an S1 formIf you have a UK State Pension, you must request an application form by phone from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services. How to use an S1 form in PolandYou must register your S1 form with the National Health Fund.Once registered, you’ll get a certificate confirming your registration with NFZ. This shows that you’re entitled to healthcare on the same basis as a Polish citizen.Studying in PolandYou can use an EHIC or GHIC to get medically necessary healthcare until the end of your study period.Getting treatment in the UKSome former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK nationals who started living in the EU before 1 January 2021.Read more about healthcare when you no longer live in the UK.If you return to live in the UK you’ll be able to use the NHS like any other UK resident.Read more about using the NHS when you return to live in the UK.last_img

Leave a Reply