The University of Georgia broke ground on a $4.4 million expansion of its Food Science and Technology Building on the Athens campus.The ground-breaking ceremony at the Food Science Plaza featured the grand opening of the recently renovated first floor of the building.The renovation updated the food processing facilities and research labs. The renovation project was the first phase of this project and the addition to the building is the second phase.Adds 17,000 Square FeetThe new addition will add 17,000 square feet to the existing building. It’s expected to take six months to complete. The project is funded by the Governor’s Traditional Industries Program.”In our outreach efforts, programs are conducted to meet the food industry’s training needs,” said Joe Frank, acting head of the UGA Food Science and Technology Department. “The expansion will provide suitable, dedicated space to conduct outreach programs for up to 100 people.”For now, outreach programs must compete for space which is mainly used for food science classes in the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. A lab designated for outreach programs will be included in the expansion, too.Lab for Outreach Programs”The laboratory will allow us to present hands-on demonstrations of processing equipment, monitoring procedures, laboratory instruments and product formulation,” Frank said.Besides adding these new facilities, the expansion will increase the department’s teaching, research and office space.”In many cases, research programs suffer because the existing labs are designed for activities different from those currently taking place,” Frank said. “New labs are necessary for our research, which focuses on ensuring a safe, nutritious and affordable food supply.”
After arriving, the residents were brought to the coliseum to undergo reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test for COVID-19.“They were not allowed to leave unless their respective local government units (LGUs) picked them up,” Diaz said. BACOLOD City – Some 213 residents of Negros Occidental returned home from Cebu which is under strict health protocols due to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Diaz added that Provincial Health Office personnel had been deployed to set up stations at the Escalante City Coliseum to collect swab samples from arriving locally stranded individuals (LSIs). The Negrenses came home onboard four vessels that docked at the Danao port in Escalante City on June 18.They were allowed to travel after Escalante City Mayor Melecio Yap Jr. coordinated with Tabuelan town Mayor Raul Gerona, who issued an executive order banning ferries bound for Negros and Iloilo to leave Cebu by way of Tabuelan port starting Wednesday. Meals were provided for locally-stranded individuals who returned in the province from Cebu on June 18. After arriving at the Danao port in Escalante City, the residents were brought to the city coliseum for swab testing. NEGOCC-PROVINCIAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM DIVISION The provincial government has imposed stricter rules for LSIs from the island of Cebu, particularly Cebu City, which has the highest COVID-19 cases in the country.In Executive Order 20-26, Lacson said Negrenses coming from Cebu would be allowed to enter this province only through the Danao port while the admission of LSIs depends on the capacity of the isolation facility in Cadiz City.(With a report from PNA/PN) Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz II said Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson directed Yap to coordinate with Gerona.
RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians German third division side Chemnitz on Monday confirmed that a player has tested positive for the coronavirus.All players were tested on Thursday and returned negative, but a second round of testing on Saturday produced one positive. The player who tested positive will enter 14-day quarantine at home, according to a club spokesperson.Two further people will also enter quarantine despite testing negative as they had close contact with the player.Chemnitz is fighting relegation to the fourth-tier of German football and has spoken out in favour of the third division resuming from suspension.The German football federation (DFB), which is responsible for the league, said last week that the intended restart date of May 26 could not be met.It is unclear when the league will resume, but it seems certain matches would continue into July, posing a problem for players whose contracts expire at the end of June. The top two divisions in Germany, run by the German football league (DFL) resumed at the weekend.Dynamo Dresden’s second division match with Hanover, however, did not take place with the team quarantined following a number of positive tests at the club.dpa/NAN.Tags: ChemnitzCOVID-19German PlayerPositive TestQuarantine
Press Association Sunderland new boy Jozy Altidore cannot wait to start life in the Barclays Premier League. The 23-year-old United States international striker signed a four-year deal on Tuesday night as he completed his move from AZ Alkmaar for an undisclosed fee. Altidore told the club’s official website, www.safc.com: “I’m excited. Anybody who knows anything about football knows that the Barclays Premier League, when you look at everything as a full package, is the biggest league in the world.” He added: “I’m thrilled to be here and I’m looking forward to getting adjusted as quickly as possible. “It’s a fantastic club, everyone here is so welcoming. I’m really excited about this season – it has everything here, all the combinations to be a big club, so I’m really excited to be a part of it.” Sunderland will launch their campaign against Fulham at the Stadium of Light, when Altidore will get the chance to experience running out in front of 40,000 Wearsiders for the first time. He said: “It’s great, it’s part of taking that next step as a player. To be able to play in front of a stadium like that is going to be really exciting – I hope they like what I do on the pitch. “Everybody, I’m sure, is excited to get the season off to a good start and I’m no different. I can’t wait to meet the guys, meet the coaching staff and get acclimatised as soon as possible. “I’m just going to give everything I can to the team, that’s the biggest thing, to get the respect of your team-mates and when you do that, I think everything will fall into place. “I’ll just give my all for the club. I really appreciate the club making the investment in me as a player and I want to give that back.”
Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (10-7, 3-3 Atlantic Coast) looks to build on back-to-back wins with a matchup against Virginia Tech (13-4, 4-2) Saturday at noon in the Cassell Coliseum. After a slow start to the season, the Orange are in need of a win in their second matchup with the Hokies.Here’s what to know about VT ahead of the matchup.All-time series: Syracuse leads, 9-5Last time they played: Virginia Tech beat the Orange 67-63 earlier this season. SU controlled the game for more than 30 minutes, but lost momentum in the final minutes for its second-straight loss to begin conference play.The Virginia Tech report: Though the Hokies shot poorly against the Orange the last time the two teams played, Virginia Tech is still a constant threat from beyond the arc. Syracuse, due to youth and an overall slow adjustment to its defensive system, has struggled to guard the 3-ball several times this year. That became apparent in the final stretch of the game, when VT’s shots began to fall and the Orange continued to allow the Hokies to fire from long range.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Hokies also get by with strong defense, and the game remained low-scoring while the Hokies waited for their shooting to emerge. Once it did, VT put the Orange away.How Syracuse beats the Hokies: Though this has been hard to come by recently, Syracuse needs to start off hot. Even against Boston College — an eventual blowout win — the Orange didn’t begin by shooting well, but the Eagles started off even slower. That won’t be the formula to beat VT, who like the Orange, rely on quick scoring bursts to jump ahead. If Syracuse is the first one to get going offensively and its defense plays similar to the last time, the Orange will have a chance to secure another strong road win.Stat to know: 37 — The amount of points Virginia Tech scored in the final 12 minutes of its last game against SU. Syracuse scored just 25 points in that same stretch.KenPom odds: Syracuse has only a 37% chance to win the game, with a projected final score of 69-65 per KenPom.Player to watch: Wabissa Bede, No. 3, GuardThe Hokies point guard played at the high-post last time against Syracuse, which is a strange spot for a 6-foot-1 guard. It’s easy to see why he’s the team leader in assists, though. He patrolled that spot in Syracuse’s 2-3 zone, the Hokies only source of ball movement around the perimeter. He’s an unbelievable defender too, frequently taking on taller assignments and causing havoc. He’ll be sure to do much of the same against the Orange. Comments Published on January 17, 2020 at 5:26 pm Contact Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org | @MikeJMcCleary
The Milwaukee Bucks beat the Detroit Pistons to establish an unassailable 4-0 lead in the best-of-seven play-off series and set up an Eastern Conference semi-final against the Boston Celtics.The Bucks progressed in the post-season for the first time since 2000-01 with Monday’s 127-104 win.The Pistons set an NBA record with their 14th consecutive play-off defeat.The Houston Rockets lost 107-91 to the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference but lead their series 3-1.Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer said it was important his side “take a second to enjoy” their progress after failing to make it past the first round in eight previous attempts.“It’s a good night for Milwaukee. It’s a good night for the Bucks,” he added.
This triggered a long meeting between the player, his legendary father Abedi Ayew Pele and the club president.“It was tough, really tough because my club in France didn’t want to sell me and it was really complicated deal but it has happened finally and that is the most important thing and I am really happy,” Ayew told Joy Sports after sealing the move.Jordan’s move completes a proud month for the family as the two high-profile side become set to be regulars in the world’s most popular league.“Everyone is looking forward to what I’m going to do because my dream one day is to play for a big club in England so I still have some more work to do.” But Jordan, ever the candid fellow, was adamant that the family’s success has not come easily.“We are all happy because we deserve to be in the premier league, God has seen our hard work and has made this possible for us. I’m looking forward to this challenge because it is a dream come true and my whole family is happy and proud.”But did he choose the famous number 10 because his brother, Andre, did same at Swansea?”That was the only number available because my favourite number 9 had already been taken and the rest of numbers were from 40. So I had to settle on the number 10.”Jordan is a long way away from the cult hero status enjoyed by greats like Charlie Aitken, Peter Withe and Gordon Cowans, but he’s raring to go. The last player to don the 10 was Andreas “Andi” Weimann.–CLICK TO READ: What Jordan offers new club Aston Villa –Follow Benedict on Twitter: @KwesiBenedict. Get more updates on Facebook/Twitter with the #JoySports hashtag Jordan Ayew is Aston Villa’s new number 10The 23-year-old finalised a five year deal on Monday to join Villa for an undisclosed fee. But he admits completing his move from French side Lorient was tough.The move looked uncertain over the weekend when Jordan’s former team rejected Aston Villa’s initial bid.
Defending champion Andy Murray was knocked out of Wimbledon in the quarter-finals by American 24th seed Sam Querrey on Centre Court.Querrey, 29, won 3-6 6-4 6-7 (4-7) 6-1 6-1 to become the first American to reach a Grand Slam semi-final since Andy Roddick at Wimbledon in 2009.The Briton, 30, led by a set and a break but lost 12 of the last 14 games as he appeared to struggle physically.The defeat means Novak Djokovic could overtake Murray as world number one.Second seed Djokovic, who plays Tomas Berdych later on Wednesday, needs to win the title to return to the top of the rankings.Murray looked on course for an eighth win in nine matches against Querrey when he led by a set and a break, but less than two hours later he was out, after the American fired down his 27th ace. Querrey took his chance superbly, hitting 70 winners, 30 of them from the net as he attacked at every opportunity.For Murray, it appeared that the hip injury that disrupted his build-up to Wimbledon had finally caught up with him.After breaking serve to lead 4-3 in the second set, letting out a loud “come on!”, Murray dropped serve twice in a row, his opponent firing a brilliant backhand to clinch the set.Any thought that it was a momentary lapse from the champion disappeared when Murray was broken again serving for the third set, but he took the tie-break on his fourth set point and seemingly regained control.In fact, it was Querrey who took command as Murray appeared underpowered and unable to move freely. The Scot won just nine points on serve in each of the fourth and fifth sets, with an average serve speed down at just 108mph, allowing Querrey to tee off on the return.The American played a magnificent point at the net to break for the eighth time, serving out the match after two hours and 41 minutes.Analysis – ‘It was pretty evident his hip had deteriorated’Former British number one Tim HenmanYou have to give Querrey credit for the level of tennis he played but obviously, there’s a big question mark over what has been Murray’s fitness over the past three or four weeks.His hip is one of those things where you are hoping that, if you have got a niggle, it gets better as the tournament goes on but to see him in so much discomfort it was pretty evident that it’s deteriorated, and movement is such an important part of Murray’s game. Any lack of movement is a hindrance physically but I think it’s also a distraction mentally.Murray was up a set and a break at 4-3 in the second set and you think perhaps he can take advantage of this and get two sets up, but you could see with lots of different movements he was certainly hobbling.When he was trying to change direction, pushing off the compression in the the hip joint was uncomfortable. At this level and stage of the tournament you know you have got to be 100% fit or, if not, very close to it.That was not the case with Andy, and it is very disappointing for him.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Jenkins said he believes the charity the NAACP worked with was the Donald T. Sterling Charitable Foundation.Over the weekend, the L.A. chapter of the NAACP announced it was cancelling plans to honor Sterling at its May 15 banquet with a lifetime achievement award, a move that came hours after TMZ posted an audio recording of a man believed to be Sterling making racially-charged statements.Jenkins said a donation made to the NAACP by Sterling would be returned. He described the money as an “insignificant amount.”Addressing the audio remarks, Jenkins called the remarks on posted by TMZ “devastating.”“It goes back to a segregation system, and a time that nobody in America is proud of,” Jenkins said. “And I think when you say things like that, you have to pay a price for those kinds of things. You have to demonstrate if at possible, that that is not who you are. So it was devastating, it’s off the scales.” Jenkins said NAACP had been having conversations with Sterling over a possible endowment to L.A. Southwest College, which Jenkins called an important school for minorities.“It shows there is a consciousness about the plight of African Americans and Hispanics.” Jenkins said.In 2009, Sterling agreed to pay a record $2.7 million to settle a case involving allegations that he discriminated against African Americans and Hispanics. Asked about that case, Jenkins said the NAACP called Sterling, and told him that he needs to make amends if the allegations were true.“That case was settled,” Jenkins told reporters. The president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People on Monday defended now-cancelled plans to honor Donald Sterling, saying the Clippers’ owner has a record of giving money to charities and helping African American students and children.Facing a barrage of questions from reporters, Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles NAACP, said Sterling had been chosen to receive a lifetime achievement award because of his work with minorities.“Mr. Sterling’s organization, on a consistent basis has brought in numerous minorities and inner city kids to games,” Jenkins said. “Almost every game, there is a section where there are young people. He has also, in the years we looked at, contributed to a lot of minority charities, including the NAACP.”“We looked at comparing that with all of the other L.A. (sports) franchises. His organization gave more money to the minority community,” Jenkins added.